Friday, March 14, 2014

Digital Editing

I enjoyed learning about digital video editing. I think it has a lot of educational value for older students. I think for me to use digital editing with my second graders would be a little too much for them. The programs can be tricky when it comes to importing multiple video segments, adding transitions, voice overs, music, sound effects, and much more. I could not see my students being able to use this program easily. Even if I took the time to teach each function of the program, I just feel it is too much. I think video editing is perfect for middle school and high school students. They are old enough to be able to understand the different terminology and functions. If I taught older kids I would use this tool for projects that deal with persuasion and delivering information to the public. It is a fun way for students go share information other than writing it down in a report. 

4 comments:

  1. I also have concerns about the time needed to teach the kids how to use this tool and the value it adds. I have tried it in the past with a few students. They did so it, kind of. But it took several days for very small pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like the potential for secondary students to take advantage of digital video editing is endless. However, in my experience, presenting it to elementary English Language Learners has helped them to express their knowledge in ways other than writing, which often limits them. By giving them specific objectives with their edits and limiting the amount of effects they put into their video, they have had success. It does take significant time on the front end, though, to teach features. More than other technology tools for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your thoughts about using digital editing with the younger kids. As a middle school teacher, I think it is a great tool to use with my students. In fact they seem to know more about it than I do. I can imagine it would be hard and perhaps very frustrating to try and actually edit a video with kids so young, so maybe just TAKING the video of the kids, doing the editing portion on your own and then sharing the final product with them is the best way to try and make use of this technological tool. (I know that's how my sister does it with her kindergarteners.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely would be near impossible to teach your younger students how to use the tool. But I agree with Caitie that you having a chance to make videos to use when instructing your kids could be a way to incorporate this into your curriculum. Maybe you could record them doing certain activities and use it to review for a test or quiz. Kids seeing themselves in the videos could certainly keep them more engaged than other types of visuals.

    ReplyDelete